An Afternoon at the Gardens with a Tamron 28-200/f2.8-5.6

Started 7 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Foto4x4 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,419
An Afternoon at the Gardens with a Tamron 28-200/f2.8-5.6

So, on Tuesday I took my new Tamron 28-200 to the Brisbane Botanic Gardens to try out. I've put the photos in a Flickr gallery but here's a sample to have a quick look.

Gallery: Brisbane Botanic Gardens

I summarise my thoughts about the Tamron below.

Some child is going to be heartbroken later on... The toy was right where I photographed it.

All photos process from RAW in Lr 9.3. A few have been enhanced in Topaz De Noise AI or Luminar 4.

How do I feel about this lens? A common review statement about image quality starts with "for a superzoom it's pretty sharp". I think that undersells this lens. I'd say, "for a zoom under $1,500, it's nice and sharp". The fact it's US$729, has a range of 28-200, short MFD, starts at f2.8 and has nice bokeh (most of the time), it's hard to think of a reason not to own one. My view is that anyone with a G or GM lens or two or have the Tamron 28-75/f2.8 and/or 70-180/f2.8 will be surprised how good this is and were not expecting that so put a rider on their opinion. It would be easy to say that so you're taken seriously and don't sound like you're describing the impossible. That also may be why many reviewers add that it's a Travel Zoom or should appeal to amateurs. Of course that's true but I think it goes a step beyond that. If I shot weddings, I would use a constant f2.8 instead but you'd need two lenses and two bodies to do what this one lens can do. In short my view is this is better than any consumer lens I've ever owned and some "professional" ones as well.

Some who are less impressed could be seeing the not quite spot on AF-S focus that Tamron has said they've become aware of and going to issue a firmware fix for. I have had a couple out of focus images myself but most are nice and sharp even in the corners, at all normal apertures and through the full focal length range.

I carried just this lens on this shoot, but had my full kit back in the car. Not once did I wish I'd taken anything else with me. The close ups, while not full on macro sharp, they're still quite passable and you do have to pixel peep to spot the slight softness. Make no mistake, this is a quality lens with incredible usefulness and easy to like.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
Quote: “If your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough.”, Robert Capa

Foto4x4's gear list:Foto4x4's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +8 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
PDM
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow