"We will focus on the high-end market more than ever."

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Great Bustard Forum Pro • Posts: 44,627
"We will focus on the high-end market more than ever."

https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/1110652776/olympus-interview-we-are-extremely-grateful-to-all-of-our-customers-for-their-loyalty-and-support?utm_source=self-desktop&utm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_source

Do you think that your product lineup will get smaller?

We will focus on the high-end market more than ever. High-end cameras and lenses in the ILC lineup. There may be some changes in the product lineup for strategic reasons, but we don’t plan simply to reduce the number of products.

This is interesting because it implies that the high end market is where money is to be made since not only has the low end market has been eroded by smartphones, but the medium end market, as well.

In my opinion, pursuing the high end at the expense of the low and middle is what put Olympus cameras in trouble in the first place.  However, one would like to think that they know the market far better than I do and have come to the conclusion that "Go high or go away" is the market reality.

It is interesting, however, to consider that the camera buying population has ever decreasing interest in smaller, lighter, less expensive, mid-range bodies and lenses as they'd just as soon go all the way with a smartphone rather than "settle" for second best.

But if the EM1X is their idea of "high end", I don't think it's going to work, as that camera appeals to too small of a crowd at its price-point, just like the f/1.2 primes.  Instead, I think Olympus needs to be more creative without being more expensive.  Specifically, they need to invest less in hardware and more in firmware by putting all those crazy capabilities of smartphones into their cameras.  Then, combined with the larger sensor and existing lenses, they would have a very powerful system.  I mean, if a smartphone is great, imagine an *existing* mFT body with *existing* mFT lenses that can do what a smartphone does.

Anyway, just playing armchair quarterback, here.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow