A7R IV RT tracking inaccuracy...?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Tr3v420 Junior Member • Posts: 26
Re: A7R IV RT tracking inaccuracy...?

Susurus wrote:

Hi!

I noticed that when using R4 in realt time tracking mode (small spot) focus seem to be a bit inaccurate. Flat surfaces or distant larger objects are ok, however, when doing close-ups or smaller objects/taking pictures of some curved surfaces, the focus tend to shift somewhere to the ‘back’ - the center of the green frame is not in focus often. It seems that it tends to focus on the outside edges of the green tracking frame which is definitely larger than the ‘small spot’. It shoud simply focus on the center, not on the edges, but it is not.

When zooming in afterwards on the camera, it zooms right to the center of the green frame ...which is not in focus area.

I first noticed this with 200-600mm. Today I tried 90mm macro and noticed this tendency even more.

When using AF-C/small spot (without tracking), the camera ‘nails’ focus and ewerything is fine, Eye-AF is great as well... So it should not be some mechanical error.

Do you find RT tracking to be the same - less inaccurate?

P.S. I believe tracking is not very precise for close-ups on A9 as well, however on R4 I seem to notice the issue more.

This might have something to do with the issues alot of people are having with the 200-600 + A7r4 combo. Some think the AF motors arent up to snuff in these lenses for the r4 and maybe the r9 just has more AF juice to provide where its not as much of an issue. 
Hope you get it sorted, its the reason why i took my r4 + 100-400 for an a9 + 200-600.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow