Image Stabilization

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
dcstep Contributing Member • Posts: 921
Re: Image Stabilization

engbert wrote:

Over the past few months there have been posts about focus problems with the A7R4, especially with the 200-600. A least some seem to be from using stabilization at too high shutter speeds.

But we really need stabilization to aim and focus the camera. Sony should make it stop just before the exposure if calculates it will not help.

That's what all this tech is for!

Practice and you'll get the hang of it. I shoot my 600 GM with 1.4x TC hand held, with OSS off at speeds over 1/1000-sec. I don't understand why, but the keeper rate is much closer to 100% with OSS off. I used to notice instability as I aimed, when I first started turning it off, but it's no longer an issue at all. I shoot thousands of clicks per week. If you only shoot occasionally under those conditions, I think you're better off leaving OSS on and putting up with the slight decline in keeper rate.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dcstep's gear list:dcstep's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a6400 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow