600 F5.6 DO

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
arbitrage Regular Member • Posts: 458
Re: 600 F5.6 DO previous prototype

quiquae wrote:

pahooj wrote:

When Canon showed the prototype 4 or 5 years ago it was actually an F4 lens not much bigger than the current 400 DO II (which I love.) Before the recent announcements of the 1DX 3 and the R5 I was seriously considering switching to Sony but the hope for a 600 F4 DO made me wait.

I still hope that Canon will bring out an RF version of the 600 DO F4 but I think before they do that they will bring out the big expensive lens - 500, 600 and 800 in the RF format. They may be targeting the next Olympics for that now that Covid-19 has pushed those out.

I don't know which prototype you saw, but if it really was a 600F4, it would have been much larger and heavier than a 400F4. Specifically, about 1.5x larger in entrance diameter, or 2.25x in entrance surface area, with corresponding increase in weight. DO only helps reduce the length of the lens; it doesn't do a thing about the diameter.

Everyone saw the prototype, both an empty casing to display it and a working copy in prototype casing that you could look through. This was a public display at CanonExpo in NYCin 2015. Only time I can recall Canon showing something like this publicly....and ironically it is a product they never produced in the end.

But this lens is my ultimate dream lens. Even if it isn't much lighter than the lightweight 600 f/4 IS III, it's big advantage is its shorter length. Based on the images on the web and comparing it to the known thickness of the 1DX it was mounted on, we can see the lens is shorter than the 400 f/2.8. Of course not as short or narrow as a 400 f/4 DO II.

One other interesting thing is Canon lost the Green Ring on this lens and added an "L" to the name. There is one image where you can read the metal nameplate and it reads " EF 600 1:4 L DO IS USM".

arbitrage's gear list:arbitrage's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon D500 Sony a9 Nikon D850 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow