12MP for photography?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Currantos Senior Member • Posts: 1,036
12MP for photography?

Disregarding pros/cons and fully understanding the limitations, is is still reasonable to use 12MP for stills?

Let's say you are in a studio environment, using a sharp lens, lights, everything is controlled and you will be outputting to computer screens and the net. No printing, not cropping at all, using the full 12MP and converting to final output JPEG. No 100% pixel peeping, just 'sharpen for screen' in LR and output.

Is 4290x2800 sufficient to convert to high quality images that people post on the net, like professional photographer would put in their online portfolio?

Can I get away with online JPEG's with 2000px long side since that is fully doable from the 12MP? Will that look good on 95% of computers/screens that people will look at the site?

I hear a lot of talk about high res displays and retinas and 8K and am getting a little confused about that, I got the megapixels concept well, but getting lost a bit in the final output discussion.

Thanks everyone.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow