Returning to Film: 50mm suggestions for Nikon FM3? Zeiss Planar T* f/1.4 vs Nikkor f.1.2 or f/1.4?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Tomm111 Contributing Member • Posts: 790
Re: Nikon FM3 50mm

Ken Seals wrote:

fulano wrote:

Tomm111 wrote:

Nikon macros are excellent but most manual focus were f3.5 the f2.8 manual focus is rare and they went to AF soon after that, but I would bet an f2.8 would still be inexpensive.

The Micro-Nikkor 55mm f2.8 AI-s manual focus is still listed on the Nikon website and is in stock at B&H for $399 brand new:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/36984-USA/Nikon_1442_Macro_55mm_f_2_8_Micro.html).

The fact that it's been in production for over 40 years tells you something about how good it is.

I'm using that very lens. It will only focus to 1:2 however. It needs a 27mm extension tube for 1:1. The matching Nikon extension tube is the PK-13. It is $99 new at B&H or about $30 used at KEH. I just ordered a used one. Until now, I have been using the basic extension tube that came with the MicroNikkor 55mm f:3.5.

If you need 1:1, I do a lot of macro but generally 1:2 is enough magnification, the extension tubes often sit in a drawer, then again they aren't a big investment. The AF version of the 55 f2.8 will focus to 1:1 with out an extension. All that said I am going upstairs to get my Nikon extension tube for my 105 micro. Above 1:2 I do prefer the 105 as I have more working distance, 1:1 with a 55 you often have lighting problems as the front element will only be 55mm from the subject, and the front element is very recessed on the lens.

Tomm111's gear list:Tomm111's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D300 Leica CL Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-T 23mm f/2 ASPH +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow