Hard realization: Win vs OS

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lettermanian
Lettermanian Senior Member • Posts: 1,596
Hard realization: Win vs OS

A while ago I purchased an ASUS laptop with 4k screen, i7 processor, installed 16gb ram, 1tb SSD and 1TB hdd, GTX 1050 card, all the ports I'd need and other "powerful" specs. The thought was I would have a machine I could grow into if I wanted to pursue heavier photo and video editing (hobbyist and family use, nothing professional). On spec and in use the computer itself is fine; no issues with it. The problem is... I just don't like Windows.

I have other windows computers in the house (my kids' laptops) and I was using a lower-end windows pc, so I feel I am familiar enough with it to state that I don't like it. Compared to using Macs and my ipad, it requires much more "management", especially if any troubleshooting needs to be done. I could go on, but in any case, I have come to the realization that I want to leave the windows system, and go back to mac full time. I went specs vs price chasing, but it has not been an enjoyable experience. So now I am looking at the 2019 or 2020 Macbook Air models, which is at an acceptable size and price point for me to get a decent screen and tech specs, but with a much better user experience.

My questions: will these Macbook Airs (2019/2020, i5, 16gb ram, 512gb drive, Iris Plus) be able to handle "light" photo and video editing? I have a Fuji X-H1 and am thinking of moving to Nikon Z, and in both cases I would like to shoot 4k video of scenery and family events (again not as a professional). Will I be able to make family memory videos with an Air spec'd like this? A usb hub will be essential too, as I will want it for sd cards and hdmi. Any recommended hubs? TIA for any input

-- hide signature --

"Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong." -Charles M. Schulz
"I love mankind... it's PEOPLE I can't stand!!" - Linus

Lettermanian's gear list:Lettermanian's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T100 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +3 more
Fujifilm X-H1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow