Manufacturer with intuitive menus?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
TacticDesigns
TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 7,560
Re: Manufacturer with intuitive menus?

tbcass wrote:

Me calling manual transmissions "intuitive" was tongue in cheek (note the quotes)

+1

'totally missed the quotes. LOL.

because they are about as intuitive as camera menu systems. Just like a camera menu once you learn how to use it a manual transmission magically becomes intuitive. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Calling any camera menu system intuitive is an oxymoron.

Well. Yes and no IMHO.

I just look at my two cars. A 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan and a 2011 Nissan Rogue.

I took my Dodge Grand Caravan in to get the oil changed.

But because of COVID-19, they do not enter my car. I drive it into the bay and out. As I leave, they remind me to reset the oil / service reminder.

This is something that before COVID-19 they would just automatically do for me as they drove the vehicle out of the bay.

So, my Dodge Grand Caravan (since I don't have the high-end cluster with the EVIC), I had to Google how to reset the service reminder.

https://www.google.com/search?q=2016+dodge+grand+caravan+reset+oil+light&rlz=1C1AWFC_enCA886CA886&oq=2016+dodge+grand+caravan+reset+oil+light&aqs=chrome.0.0l3.8862j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

You have to turn the ignition switch to the 2nd position. And then slowly press the accelerator pedal all the way down three times within 10 seconds. Then turn the ignition switch off.

Ok. That is totally not intuitive. I don't think I would have guess that reset procedure in a million years! LOL.

Where as . . . my 2011 Nissan Rogue, because it has a menu driven car info screen in the dash . . . I just have to enter the menu system and navigate to the service light entry and reset it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=2011+nissan+rogue+reset+oil+light&rlz=1C1AWFC_enCA886CA886&oq=2011+nissan+rogue+reset+oil+light&aqs=chrome..69i57.5982j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And I think I figured that out without having to Google it. LOL.

Because, as long as I know it is there and want to get to it, the menu system is laid out easy enough for me to find it.

For menus, I think it is . . . if you know what you want to do, how easy is it to find it in the menu and make the change.

Of course, after reading through this thread and thinking about it, that is a completely different thing to UI or camera usability. IMHO . . . once you get a camera set-up so you can use it, the question is . . . how usable is the camera to shoot the subjects the way you want to shoot it?

Take care & Happy Motoring!

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Pentax *ist DS +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Smaug01
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
Bob
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow