What is the exact mechanism that triggers a optical slave flash?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
kli
kli Veteran Member • Posts: 3,585
Re: What is the exact mechanism that triggers a optical slave flash?

eyun89 wrote:

I'm trying to figure out how to trigger an AD200 flash...

Easiest? Get a Godox 2.4 GHz radio transmitter: X2T, XPro , orFlashpoint R2 Pro II for your brand of camera (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Olympus/Panasonic, or Pentax). Those three models are the current ones. Then you can use TTL/HSS, and remotely control the power of the AD200 from the camera with the transmitter, and no flash burst is required to trigger the light.

... with a light source that does not come from a camera built-in flash.

Then you need another strobe: either a speedlight or studio strobe. A phone's LED "flash" will not work.

But I have no idea where to look to find a solution. I've learned that S1 triggers with any light and S2 triggers after a pre-flash.

Not quite.

S1 triggers on the first burst sensed.

S2 triggers on the second burst sensed (i.e., ignores a single TTL metering preburst).

These triggering modes should work with any strobe, but will not allow you any remote control over the AD200's settings, TTL, or HSS.

Is there a "brightness threshold" I have to overcome?

Yes. That's why optical triggering works better indoors in lower ambient conditions than outdoors in bright sunlight. Which is why we like radio triggering.

See also: https://www.electronicsforu.com/electronics-projects/prototypes/optical-slave-flash-trigger

kli's gear list:kli's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow