7D Mark II Zone AF Troubleshooting

Started Jul 12, 2020 | Discussions thread
Distinctly Average Senior Member • Posts: 1,148
Re: 7D Mark II Zone AF Troubleshooting

Mike-G wrote:

Distinctly Average wrote:

Odd thing is, mine started doing the same last week. Hopefully just atmospherics or something odd. Or it could be a special chip that turns cameras to cheese then the manufacturer releases a new model.

I was thinking the same regarding atmospheric or bad lighting conditions, but when I noted the 80D had no problems, I scratched that idea.

A few weeks ago I was at a local recreation area photographing a Bald Eagle family. A guy was there with a 90D and Tamron 100-600 G2. He was surprised that as we waited for the eagle action, I casually took a few snaps of Barn Swallows that were buzzing around the soccer field. He said he'd never even think of trying this type of shot. Straight out of camera, Large Zone AF:

If I tried that now all I'd get would be some motor stutter and maybe a little purple blur.

This one isn't a keeper, but the camera could function in more challenging conditions as well. Rough-winged Swallows on a miserable, dark morning in late May. Unfortunately they only made a couple passes by me and weren't close enough for a better shot. A very quick and lazy edit with Topaz Denoise, exposure and crop:

It might be a bit of a gamble, but I'll send it and have them look at it. I'm putting my daughter through college and need to be careful with my discretionary spending.

One thing to try. Put the camera in cleaning mode so the mirror is up. If you look at the bottom of the camera, 99 degrees to the sensor you will see the AF sensor. Give that a quick puff with an air bulb. Sometimes they can get a little dusty can confuse the AF

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow