Between 300mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 and 80-400mm which one would you choose and why?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,313
Re: Between 300mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 and 80-400mm which one would you choose and why?

Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

briantilley wrote:

Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

briantilley wrote:

How about this? Would you post a comparison of images at 300mm of both lenses? Obviously more as a test so same scene etc.

Here you go - posted without comment. Both images taken with a Z7 at 300mm, hand-held with VR (and in-body VR) on Aperture priority at f/6.3 (the difference in brightness is because the camera chose a slightly different shutter speed for the two shots). No processing other than re-sizing in PS.

Thank you, but I am afraid those two images don't tell me what the difference is between the two, perhaps that is what you intended?

What sort of images were you looking for?

Well something that highlights differences would be nice. Such as 300mm at f4 and the zoom at 5.6, and a scene with at least some background bokeh. I guess you were trying to show that at f6.3 they are similar in sharpness? It is more interesting to know how they differ.

I'm out of this thread. I was trying to help by giving honest opinions, but you don't seem to want to be helped.

Well I am certainly intrigued by the 70-300mm, if it is as sharp as the 300mm at f5.6.

Regards

Using the restricted experience with the 300 PF I have personally, I have not found any difference in sharpness between that little gem and the AF-P 70-300 VR DX (I normally shoot DX or CX, occasionally FX, but I have not tried the 300 PF with my FX).

Another factor is the loss of bokeh quality. According to Camera Labs reviewer Thomas (someone who does excellent reviews) - the 70-300mm has poor bokeh. The 300mm PF examples in FlickR tend to show excellent bokeh.

Sigma 100-400 C has very nice bokeh. Here is an example from today:

Very minor PP, and a slight crop.

Tord

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +24 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow