Sony A7III shutter lag (with Tamron 28-75 2.8)

Started 4 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
photofan1986
photofan1986 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,452
Sony A7III shutter lag (with Tamron 28-75 2.8)

Hello,

I recently got into Sony FF cameras with the A7II quickly replaced with the A7III. The difference between those generations is HUGE. However, there are still things I'm not sure about. I am mostly a micro43 user and I wanted to upgrade for better IQ and better focusing (compared to my G9). 
Mostly, IQ is better, and focusing in C-AF is very competent. However, I noticed that when I'm using the Tamron 28-75 (latest v3 fw), shutter lag is highly dependent on the selected aperture when shooting in S-AF. Wide open, I timed about 0.3s from pressing the shutter to the image being taken (which is about ok), but when I stop down to say f/10, the delay can get up to 1 second! That brings me back to 2002 memories with my Olympus C-4000 (not good!). With other lenses (Samyang 45, and Sony 85 1.8), the problem is less obvious but still there.

I noticed the camera shows live view at the selected aperture and when the shutter button is pressed, the camera opens the aperture wide open, then focuses, then closes the aperture back and finally opens the shutter. Phew, quite a procedure! That is the first time I see this kind of weird behavior in a camera. My G9 for example focuses in a blink of an eye and immediately opens the shutter. When pressing the shutter, the picture is taken almost instantaneously, in all conditions.

Is there anything I'm missing? The A7III feels like a weird camera to me for the moment. Ergonomically, it's usable but not enjoyable, image quality is excellent (though I'm having other problems with blown highlights in jpegs I didn't have with the G9). And focusing in C-AF is really great, not to mention eye-AF which really delivers ! But S-AF makes the camera feel sluggish. Also, power on times are...pedestrian, which I'm not used to either.

Any tips to share?

Thanks!

photofan1986's gear list:photofan1986's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Sony RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +13 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow