Between 300mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 and 80-400mm which one would you choose and why?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,313
Re: Between 300mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 and 80-400mm which one would you choose and why?

Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

briantilley wrote:

That's an excellent lens - I have used mine for larger wildlife, airshows, theatre and events. But it's not a flexible lens. For "general photography" in that range I use my AF-P 70-300mm VR.

I agree with Brian, 100%!

I had a look at the pricing of this lens. It is not cheap - about 535 pds in the UK. But the advantage is it will allow me to invest in some other lens too. So yes, I am considering it now. My initial reaction was perhaps due to my bad experience with the previous 70-300mm lens.

Regards

Dibyendu,

I agree with the older version's bad performance at longer focal lengths, just as the 80-400G (roughly the same generation with the same issues). Both great in the wide end, I hasten to add.

The Tamron 70-300 VC is a great lens, fast-focusing, light, and affordable.
But sensitive to flare (veiling flare the big problem, casting a lilac tone on everything even if you point the lens at right angles to the sun.

So I got rid of mine, even if it was an upgrade compared to the AF-S lens.

I eventually get the Sigma 100-400 C, which has no faults, bar the lack of a tripod foot.
I solved it with a long rail, one end attached to the camera, the other end supporting the lens barrel forward of the focusing ring, and using a velcro-like tape on the barrel and the rail, to prevent twisting. Works very well, and I have a short monopod attached to the forward end of the rail. Simply delightful combination!

Amazon sells various aftermarket feet, by the way.

Anyway, I eventually got the AF-P 70-300 VR as a travel-kit lens, the DX VR version.

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +24 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow