Is the P30 Pro Camera that bad?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
breschdlingsgsaelz New Member • Posts: 5
Is the P30 Pro Camera that bad?

I need a new pocket computer and since everyone is saying smartphone cameras are good enough to replace a compact camera I want to have one of those. Turns out if you do not like distorted faces and want at least a normal focal length choices are extremely limited in the Android universe. Since other aspects are also important for this type of device I had the choice between a Samsung Note 10 Plus and a Huawei P30 Pro.

The P30 Pro supposedly has the better camera that even comes with a real tele lens while the Note 10+ only has a normal lens like all the other "better" camera phones.

I was quite surprised when I just did a few quick snapshots of my cat and the Samsung did a good job but the P30 Pro whose camera gets highly praised everywhere just produced horrible results.

The P30 Pro image had low contrast, a blueish tint and the fur of the cat was washed away. The Note 10+ produced a photo that was oversaturated with too warm color temerature and a little bit oversharpened but with a lot of detail all in all quite pleasing and usable - I would say on par with a compact camera, which the P30 Pros image definitely was not.

Is the P30 Pros camera really that bad or it there a way to make it better by tweaking some knobs or is even the camera defective?

This is the Image made with the P30 Pro:

P30 Pro 2x Zoom

And this is what the Note 10 Plus produced:

Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus 2x Zoom

Both pictures shot at the same time and location in bright daylight indoors but in front of a huge Window.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow