Returning to Film: 50mm suggestions for Nikon FM3? Zeiss Planar T* f/1.4 vs Nikkor f.1.2 or f/1.4?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Overrank Contributing Member • Posts: 932
Re: Returning to Film: 50mm suggestions for Nikon FM3?

Overrank wrote:

Ken Seals wrote:

Gesture wrote:

I think you are on track.

I understand the appeal of the 50mm f/1.4, but for years I had only an FM and the 50mm f/1.8, which is also a great lens.

I know you want a lens with good maximum aperture, but I think one great appeal of this era are the 55mm Nikon micro (macro) lenses, f/2.8 or f/3.5. It's not that I am doing real macro, but these lenses really shine when you are shooting in that 9 inches to 2 foot range.

Excellent points! In addition, the 55mm MicroNikkors can be used on a Nikon DSLR with the ES-2 film copy adapter to negate the need for a scanner. This system relies on using Lightroom Classic with the plugin Negative Lab Pro for both color and B&W conversion to positives. It works very well.

You don’t need NLP for black and white. For colour there are other options - colorperfect (which I use), a new one called Grain2Pixel, which I’ve not used, or there are various guides to inverting in Photoshop by dividing by a fill layer of the negative colour and then tweaking the colours to suit. I imagine in Linux you could build a tool gain using ImageMagick to do the same automatically.

Someone (Fred Weinhaus) already done this for ImageMagick http://www.fmwconcepts.com/imagemagick/negative2positive/index.php

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow