Between 300mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 and 80-400mm which one would you choose and why?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Parry Johnson
Parry Johnson Senior Member • Posts: 1,812
Re: Between 300mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 and 80-400mm which one would you choose and why?

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Hilifer wrote:

I own a 70-200 VRII, and the latest 1.4 and 2.0 TC versions. I’m inclined to go with this, but that little voice we all hear from time to time (more often than others...) is whispering the 300 PF, followed by the 200-500. I’m pretty sure the latter won’t make the cut (or, likewise, the 80-400G), if for no other reason than I’d be unlikely to sneak into my kit under a particular pair of eyes, and certainly less so at our destination...

The 300 PF auto focusses well with either of your converters on either your D850 or your Z7.

You have not mentioned the 500 PF - which is similar in size and looks but is distinctly lighter than your 70-200 f2.8. The 500 autofocuses respectably with the 1.4 on your D850, and adequately with the 2x on your Z7.

With several of those options, you're fiddling with TCs and adapters.  That's not convenient at all, and with TCs, there's still a reduction in quality and light.  If 200mm isn't long enough with any in-body crop (DX, CX, 1.3X crop mode or whatever), then a longer lens becomes the best choice.  I've had enough weight problems with my FT1 adapter that I wouldn't trust using the FTZ exclusively with a Z camera and expensive lenses.  (My FT1 fell apart while using a 75-300 AF -- not a very heavy lens, but heavy enough to cause problems, even though I carry the lens, not the little N1 bodies when attached.  Adapters can potentially cause similar problems.  At least that's my experience, and one of the main reasons why I haven't yet bought a Z camera.

Hilifer, if it's a toss-up whether to give in to your wants or your wife's, leaving the 200-500 at home is probably the best answer.  You can hide a TC easier in your luggage, and those little headaches I mentioned with finicky attachments is probably the better choice, too, especially if you're now planning to spend a lot more on a new lens.

Parry Johnson's gear list:Parry Johnson's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +21 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow