Potentially coming back to Nikon!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nickels25 Regular Member • Posts: 227
Potentially coming back to Nikon!

Back in the day I had a Nikon F1 and a handful of good Nikkor FX glass. I then invested in a Nikon D700 and enjoyed my time with the camera. As I started hiking more, I wanted something lighter and more compact than a DSLR. I sold my Nikon DSLR gear and FX lenses and went to Olympus mirrorless with Olympus PRO glass....

Olympus and the m4/3 system was good and provided me decent image quality for the size and weight trade-off. However, I missed the IQ and dynamic range with FF (among other smaller things). At the time, I didn’t know that other cameras (especially FF) would be going mirrorless. However, as mirrorless has evolved in the last 10 years, the Nikon FF Mirrorless systems and the lenses below are almost the exact same weight and footprint of my Olympus E-M1.3 and PRO lenses!!!! With Olympus selling their imagery department, I think it may be time for me to come back to Nikon (and stay there)...

Here is what I’m thinking of getting to replace my m4/3 system:

Olympus OM-D E-M1 mark 3 - Nikon Z6 or Z6s???

Olympus 7-14mm f2.8 PRO - Nikon Nikkor Z 14-30mm F4 S

Olympus 12-100 f4 PRO - Nikon Nikkor Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR

Olympus 25mm f1.2 PRO - Nikon NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.8 S Lens

Olympus 45mm f1.2 PRO - Nikon Nikkor Z 85mm F1.8 S

Olympus MC-20 teleconverter (2x) - Haven’t seen a tele-converter for the mirrorless system. Is there one?

Olympus 40-150mm f2.8 PRO - I like the reach of this lens. Haven’t found a lens for this yet...the 24-200 would work well...so maybe the 100-400 on the Nikkor lens road-map?? IDK.

I’m going to miss certain features of my E-M1.3 such as Live ND (I realize this can easily be achieved with filters...just having it in body is convenient), Live Composite, Live Bulb, and the 5-stops of IBIS. However, I feel similar technology will catch up in future years for FF mirrorless. Whereas, I fear Olympus will not being doing as much R & D into the future (I could be wrong).

I’ll be doing extensive research before I pull the trigger, but I was wondering if I could ask a couple questions from real-world users before I make the switch:

1). What is your experience like with the Z6? (If any of you have photographed with the E-M1 cameras, I’d especially love to hear your opinion).

2). Should I wait for the Z6s (or newer model of the Z6)? I like the idea of potentially just having two SD slots and not needing to buy new cards. I’m primarily a stills photographer. Nature, adventure, travel, portraits, some wildlife.

3). As you may have noticed, I’m looking to try and get the equivalent lenses to replace my Olympus PRO glass (in size, weight, and IQ). I realize there are many details to consider regarding glass, but any feedback on the Nikkor lenses above and how they fair in real-world?

4). What is the weather-sealing like on the Z6 and Z series lenses?

5). Are there any other features in the Nikon Z series cameras that you have found interesting or helpful, but not really described in reviews? For example, I thought I saw somewhere that you can turn on DX mode (or something like that) in camera and get a 1.5 crop factor??? (Which would be cool with wildlife, but not have to carry around a huge 600mm +).

Thanks all! Super excited to hear from you!

nickels25's gear list:nickels25's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Apple iPhone 7 Plus
Nikon D700 Nikon Z6 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow