Looking to buy most reliable 5GB backup HD for file backup...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
jf_tea Senior Member • Posts: 1,466
Re: Safety in numbers

Leonard Migliore wrote:

andrzej bialuski wrote:

I guess the title says it all.

I am on a MAC and would like to backup my precious pics.
Which HD/brand would you recommend?

Money is an issue.

All hard drives have some failures. But they're pretty good. Here is some data:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-hard-drive-stats-q1-2020/

I recommend getting two backup drives. If you're extra-cautious, you can get two different brands in case you run into a bad batch of drives.

My personal setup is that my images are on a RAID1 NAS and I have one local backup and one remote backup but they're all Western Digital.

Indeed, buy 2 HDDs, or better 3 -- and store the 3rd copy elsewhere.

Choose a HDD with 3 or 5 years warranty, it should be more reliable than one with a 1 year warranty.

If you can use a Phillips screwdriver, buy enclosures and internal HDDs. Those with 5 years warranty and filled with Helium are the best you can buy. Also, the 10TB+ capacity drives are faster.

On the other hand, if your data is less than 2TB now, buy a bunch of 3TB drives from the two main brands (W... and S...), and make several copies. Statistically, they are unlikely to all fail at the same time.

NOTE: SSDs are expensive and (very) slowly loose the data when unused for long periods.

-- hide signature --

-JF

jf_tea's gear list:jf_tea's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Olympus E-M1 +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow