Upper Straight Creek Hike (Colorado)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
snapa
snapa Veteran Member • Posts: 4,521

Newbie Phewbie wrote:

The hike starts at the western end of the Eisenhower tunnel - not the most beautiful trail heads - but the wild flowers start almost immediately and you soon leave the highway noise behind. The wildflowers are near peak at these altitudes - 11,100 - 12,600 ft.

I don't normally comment on these kinds of threads, but your pictures really hit home for me. I spent 4 years in Colorado Springs, (about an hour away) from 1977-1981 while in the Army at Fort Carson. I spent at least 2 weekends a month up in those mountains and will never forget that time in my life! I spent more time near Manitou Springs, but did venture up that way a few times. I also learned what the "Rocky Mountain High" was like at elevations over 10,000 ft.

Anyway, below are my favorite pictures because of the composition, colors, and focus on the subjects. Not sure if you needed to go as high as f11 or f16 in some of them, but I still liked looking at all of them. You certainly do live in a one of the most beautiful spots in the USA! I hope to vistit Colorado sometime in the future. Thanks for sharing your hike!

A riot of color - Columbines

Snow buttercups. I tried handheld focus stacking using 4 shots. I'm not thrilled with the result since I need more shots at the nearer distance. If you look closely, you'll see artifacts caused by the merge.

This is the view to the west. All precipitation on this side will flow to the Pacific. I'm happy with the amount of polarization I used in this photograph. It cut through the haze, but didn't make the sky look unnatural.

Looking into the valley that we came up

-- hide signature --

Life is short, so make the best of it while you can!
http://grob.smugmug.com/
https://grob.smugmug.com/Wildlife-Pictures/

snapa's gear list:snapa's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow