Fuji Zooms for a Person Transitioning from Micro Four-Thirds

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ElliotV Regular Member • Posts: 458
Fuji Zooms for a Person Transitioning from Micro Four-Thirds

Fuji zooms

I am new to Fuji, having just bought a X-E3 and 18-55mm kit lens. I come from many years as a micro four-thirds (and occasional Pentax) shooter. I find the X-E3 a great little camera, and am impressed both by the operational details and by the ability to process the RAW files with great results already.

My biggest questions concerns zoom lenses, because, admittedly, I often would rather have a zoom lens on the camera for traveling or walking about. I am a bit more of a telephoto person than a wide-angle person. I also am older, and so weight does play a role.

I have several pretty good zooms for micro four-thirds. The Olympus 12-40 and Panasonic 35-100 zooms cover the FF FOV of 24-200. I also have slower 14-150 and 40-150 lenses, and the 100-400 Panasonic lens.

In thinking about Fuji, it seems as though the 16-80 (or 18-135) would fill one range. The 55-200 would fill a second range. The Fuji 100-400 would replace the Panasonic 100-400. I would also throw in a couple of primes, just as I have in m43. This would be done over time, as finances allow and as I got used to the system and assessed its performance – well, my performance using the equipment.

The question is, does this seem a reasonable transition? Since I do not have the PRO zooms in m43, not having the 16-55 and 14-150 Fujis is not a change. The fundamental question is whether these zooms would be at least as good as the m43 lenses I have, and given the platform, lead to some potential improvements in performance?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

ElliotV's gear list:ElliotV's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm X-T30 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +6 more
Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jrk
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow