D7500 which super Telephoto? 150-600, 100-400 vs my AFP 70-300

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
lokatz
lokatz Senior Member • Posts: 2,166
Re: D7500 which super Telephoto? 150-600, 100-400 vs my AFP 70-300

Shooting cars, I think a 150-600 would be an overkill. That's different for bird shooters, but are you really sure you need that much focal length?

My recommendation is one you may not have considered: get an AF-P 70-300 DX VR lens and retire your AF-S one. I've owned the AF-S and now have the AF-P FX version, which does not seem to be way ahead of the DX one from all the reports I saw, and I have to tell you that while at the time I sort of liked it (not knowing any better), in hindsight I think the AF-S lens was a miserable performer. In other words, the combination of your D7500 with a SHARP 300mm lens may make you happier than getting a longer lens. Take another look at that Toyota shot you posted: the lettering on the windshield should be crystal clear and at least the large letters on the side window sticker should still be legible with a D7500.

Take a look at your past shots to determine how often you had to crop substantially. I'm guessing that with your favorite subject, the answer is 'not often'.  The AF-P lens is not much of an investment, so you could probably still go for a longer lens if you determine it's not enough for you - but I sense you'll find it solves your issues.

lokatz's gear list:lokatz's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +26 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow