Best Drone for Photography Mainly

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
h1pst3r88 Regular Member • Posts: 417
Re: Best Drone for Photography Mainly

junk1 wrote:

You’re wrong regarding 48mp being interpolated. It uses a 12mp color filter but the sensor is 48mp, and the 48mp images are a tad more detailed. The reason it has so many pixels is for single frame HDR, not for resolution. The hdr video mode works well

The quad bayer sensor is simply dividing each pixel of a 12mp sensor into 4. It's still a 12mp sensor and there's a reason that DJI won't come out and straight up say that it's a 48mp sensor because it's not. Good marketing, yes, but not a true 48mp sensor by any definition else they would be yelling from the top of every building that it's a true 48mp bayer sensor.

The reality of the quad bayer approach is a massive hit on light gathering ability which is exactly why they rely on HDR processing to compensate for the poor performance. Couple that with a tiny sensor and a fixed 2.8 aperture and there's one result... noise. This is plainly visible in the sunset photos posted above. The noise and blotching is overwhelming.

In the real world, and this is evident on dozens of youtube videos, there is almost no difference between the MA2's photos in 12mp vs "48mp" modes. In fact in some areas, the 12mp renders a better shot.

It's a clever 12mp sensor with good HDR software processing. But if all I wanted was a small sensor with 12mp resolution I would've stayed with my Typhoon H.

Here's a very good video explaining the MA2 sensor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zrJSMehR8o

-Chris

-- hide signature --

All Description is necessarily selective

h1pst3r88's gear list:h1pst3r88's gear list
Leica X Vario Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Sony RX10 IV Leica SL (Typ 601) Sony a7 III +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow