Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
QuietOC
QuietOC Veteran Member • Posts: 4,190
Re: Sony full frame advice

Jacques Cornell wrote:

QuietOC wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

Cato1040 wrote:

Are you willing to buy used? If so, I would think you could get an A7III with the kit lens at that price.

The kit zoom is awful, to be replaced as soon as possible. Honestly, it's a waste of a good camera. If you're happy with its level of performance, you might as well go Micro Four Thirds, because you'll get only 16-20MP of resolution from it anywhere away from the center, even when mounted on a 42MP body. I know, because I have extensive MFT and a7III/a7RIII kits, and I did the comparison on a group portrait of 80 people, stopped down with flash.

I'll assume you had a bad experience with an outlier. I find the Sony FE 28-70 OSS to be an excellent kit zoom...

That’s not a safe assumption. The lens is not decentered. It is simply soft outside the central 20% of the frame, especially so beyond the APS frame. Reviews and tests are consistent with my finding.

If you find yours “excellent”, I’m willing to bet you’re using a 24MP, not a 42MP body, and you haven’t compared it against better zooms or primes in controlled testing.

The OP was asking about 24 MP cameras. I have tested the FE 28-70 OSS in much more controlled situations than group portraits of 80 people. Primes are irrelevant.

QuietOC's gear list:QuietOC's gear list
Pentax Q7 Sony a7 III NEX-5T Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM +121 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow