Why not a detachable fan and heat sink?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pokesfan
pokesfan Contributing Member • Posts: 687
Why not a detachable fan and heat sink?

All the hoopla about the R5 8k overheating after 20 minutes seems a little... inevitable? I don’t personally care as I don’t do video, and still plan on buying the camera for stills.

But as a PC DIY builder for the last 20 years, this issue seems so silly for people to expect the camera to stay cool when working so hard. You would never expect to build a PC without an active cooling system on the chip. The solution is simple- heat sink and fan. It occurred to me that the flip-out screen offers a brilliant solution.  The flip out screen does two things: first, it removes the LCD and circuitry from the heated area, and removing it from danger. Second, it moves access to the source of the heat (the sensor, I presume) that much closer to the outside of the camera. This helps the camera cool, as heat is transferred outside the camera quicker.

But imagine if you had a removable heat sink and fan that would clip into this spot once the LCD is flipped out. It would be an active cooling solution with very little drawback.

no doubt this could be done by a third party, maybe on Kickstarter. It would need to clip in somehow, provide a positive contact with the entire back of the camera, and perform thermally. There are thousand designs that do this job, made for PC chips. It would just need to be made sized to fit in the LCD area. It also would need a power source.

But what if Canon had thought of this. You would need the carry and use the fan only if you’re using 4k/60 or 8k. It would be the size of a stack of credit cards. But drawbacks are few compared to the camera overheating.

what do you think?

pokesfan's gear list:pokesfan's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM +4 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow