LR Classic use of Cores and Inel vs Ryzen

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Greg7579
Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,472
LR Classic use of Cores and Inel vs Ryzen

Forgive me for starting a thread on this. It will not be of interest to most MF shooters here (but it probably should be if you work with a lot of big raw files in C1, LR or whatever you use).

I build my own PC gaming rigs (even though I don't game). My last build was almost three years ago. On that build, my PC was cutting edge. But now? Time flies in the PC and laptop world.  My 3-year-old high-end rig is getting dated.  It has an 8th Gen i7 CPU, which was the gaming king at the time but a relative dog now.

But this month the new gaming King is out, the Intel 10th Gen Comet Lake Intel Core i9 10900K and the cost is an amazing 500 bucks and it has 10 Cores and 20 Threads with a very high turbo clock that can push individual and groups of cores to 5.2 GHz!

Note for those interested:  This latest Intel high-end desktop chip is still 14nm, a Core architecture not too different than its Grandfather Skylake and is still not 10nm!)  It also requires a new Z490 with LGA1200 Socket Mother Board. It is basically the same architecture as the recent 9th Gen Coffee Lake. It’s really just another a refresh for Intel, but a big jump in performance at a low price.  It is faster and has two more Cores and 4 additional threads for the same price as last year's 9th Gen i9-9900K.

This new Intel chip goes up against the Ryzen 9 3900X, but  also the high-end 3950x has dropped to 700 bucks (16 Cores), so it is in the Intel-AMD comparison mix now.  The new Intel i9-10900K is just under 600.

So, how does LR do with these two monster desktop PC chips?

I hear that the Ryzen 16 Core 3950x, which has dropped in price amazingly to 700 bucks, is 30 to 35% faster than the new Intel i9-10900 K on LightRoom Passive Tasks - meaning exporting, rendering previews, and working at most tasks in the Development Module (because of more Cores)  But the Intel i9-10900K is much faster on the Active Tasks, like scrolling and shifting modules (Because of much higher clock speeds using less cores).

The bottom line is that Adobe LR has in the past two years dramatically improved its performance with using more cores on the CPU and the use of faster GPUs like the top-end gaming Boards.

But here is what I have decided to do.  I just ordered the Intel i9-10900K (back-ordered for 580 bucks) and the new Z490 Motherboard (ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero).

So I will take the new Motherboard and Intel CPU and replace it in my current rig (change nothing else) for a dramatic update in LR and PS and Helicon capability.   If I went instead for the 700 dollar Ryzen 3950x CPU, I would have 16 vs 10 Cores and that would help even more.  But I'm sticking with the latest Intel i9 10th Gen chip.

I know Jim builds servers and not PCs, but he might be able to comment on LR's recent much better use of more Cores in the CPU and better use of the latest fastest GPUs.

There might be some other PC guys and gamers out there that could comment on the benefits of these new CPUs from Ryzen and Intel for photographers (not just guys rendering 4K video and gamers, whose needs sometimes differ on pure clock speed vs more cores).

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rbf
rbf
rbf
rbf
rbf
rbf
rbf
rbf
rbf
rbf
rbf
rbf
rbf
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow