Sony full frame advice

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 12,595
Re: Sony full frame advice

QuietOC wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

Cato1040 wrote:

Are you willing to buy used? If so, I would think you could get an A7III with the kit lens at that price.

The kit zoom is awful, to be replaced as soon as possible. Honestly, it's a waste of a good camera. If you're happy with its level of performance, you might as well go Micro Four Thirds, because you'll get only 16-20MP of resolution from it anywhere away from the center, even when mounted on a 42MP body. I know, because I have extensive MFT and a7III/a7RIII kits, and I did the comparison on a group portrait of 80 people, stopped down with flash.

I'll assume you had a bad experience with an outlier. I find the Sony FE 28-70 OSS to be an excellent kit zoom. There are other lenses that can be used that are much cheaper than the Tamron 28-75 F2.8 RXD. Personally, I would like a normal zoom wider than 24 mm that was also better than my Canon EF 22-55 F4-5.6 USM, but a 24-70 F2.8 is more useful than a 28-x.

That’s not a safe assumption. The lens is not decentered. It is simply soft outside the central 20% of the frame, especially so beyond the APS frame. Reviews and tests are consistent with my finding.

If you find yours “excellent”, I’m willing to bet you’re using a 24MP, not a 42MP body, and you haven’t compared it against better zooms or primes in controlled testing.

Like I said, it cannot outresolve a good zoom on a 20MP MFT body except right smack in the middle. If you’re going to be using this lens, there’s no point in getting a high-rez body.

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +49 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow