Were the X-Trans III autofocus issues at wider angles ever resolved?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
aloli
aloli Regular Member • Posts: 276
Were the X-Trans III autofocus issues at wider angles ever resolved?

Hi, this is a follow up to this thread from a while ago, regarding scenarios where a X-T2 or X-T20 could lock focus in AF-S but result in a slightly out of focus image. This mostly occurred with wider angle lenses (seems to be roughly 21-28mm equivalent range), like at the wide end of the 18-55mm, or towards the longer half of the 10-24mm's range.
I'd like to check if anyone has experienced this issue in the past and managed to successfully resolve it.

I experienced it all the way back, two years ago, with the X-E3 and the 18-55. Upgraded to the X-T2 and continued to experience the same issue. Swapped my 18-55 for another copy and again, it continued. I recently found a good deal on a X-H1 and it has been ok so far, but I was mostly shooting towards the wide end of my 10-24mm, or using manual focus.

The issue appeared again today, at 18mm (~27 equivalent) on the 10-24mm and the X-H1. The focus square was in the middle of this crop, and I noticed after taking 3 shots in a row (refocusing each time), that it missed focus on all 3 attempts. It only managed to correctly focus the 4th time.
For context, I've developed the habit of taking the same shot multiple times whenever using AF, due to the aforementioned AF issues I've experienced in the past.

I used to think it was a body or lens specific issue, but having experienced it across 3 different bodies and 3 different lenses I'm not so convinced anymore. Yes, in every scenario I encountered it: AF-S was enabled, the focus square turned green, and it occurred whether stabilisation was enabled or not. It's even happened on a tripod.

So I'm wondering if there's some odd setting I may have missed, or any method or trick that someone out there has used to circumvent this issue. It's not a dealbreaker for me, as I shoot with manual focus on a tripod or clamp 80% of the time. But it has definitely been annoying when I'm walking around and taking casual shots or doing travel photography. Thanks.

aloli's gear list:aloli's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow