R5 Question Regarding RF and EF Lenses

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
stevvi Contributing Member • Posts: 667
Re: Thanks but not everything has been answered about EF and the R5/R6

David Franklin wrote:

Thanks to all of you who have answered the OT's and my questions about the new RF cams and IBIS with EF lenses, but not everything has been answered about EF and the R5/R6.

My additional questions revolve mostly around this: do the EF lenses, using the new Dual Pixel 2 and Digic X, plus improved algorithms with deep learning in the R5 and R6, auto focus as quickly, as accurately and specifically (eye, head body, animal, etc.), and with the same much improved stickiness - despite movement and foreground/background clutter and greater subject distance - as their new RF cousins? And if they don't, just how much less well do they perform? Half as much better? 25%? Almost as much? Not at all? Are the new camera mounts, in-lens circuitry and drives in the RF lenses necessary for communications that enable these things at all or do a lot of these better focusing behaviors still accrue to the EF lenses anyway? I think these questions are even more important than those questions about IBIS.

Thanks in advance to anyone here who has some real answers and can let the rest of us know.

This was posted in another thread by some kind person. Go to 1:48:00 and you'll find the answer you want... but basically yes, AF works just as well on EF as it does RF according to Canon.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/canon-eos-r5-and-r6?s=2#paragraph-20701

stevvi's gear list:stevvi's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow