Are all hotshoes created equal?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Aoi Usagi Senior Member • Posts: 2,019
Re: Are all hotshoes created equal?

K1W1 55 wrote:

meow wrote:

evogt500 wrote:

It looks like it will fit any standard hotshoe and coldshoe and is powered by its own batteries so I don't see that it will do any harm to the camera. Either mirrorless version or DSLR version should work.

No, there is no electric involvement with the camera. Thank you. Then I know. I just wasn't sure if hotshoes maybe come in different shapes and sizes nowadays.

I seem to remember some Sony hot shoes are/were different, as you often see mention in products of simple non-electrical fitments "not for Sony". Might be the obsolete mindset of vendor - Sony Mirrorless, C&N dSLR

Sony used the iISO standard adopted from Minolta. It was a proprietary design that was far less likely to break.  Now they use mostly the standard hot shoe with an additional contact pins. Most other manufacturers still use the Hot shoe that is defined by the International Organization for Standardization ISO 518:2006. Of course each manufacturer has a different location for contact pins for TTL.

Aoi Usagi's gear list:Aoi Usagi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR Sony Alpha NEX-5N Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 70D +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow