Will I notice a difference going from 30mp to 20mp for wildlife photography?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
KiloHotelphoto Regular Member • Posts: 320
Re: Will I notice a difference going from 30mp to 20mp for wildlife photography?

I don’t think you will. I shoot 50mp 5dsr and 20mp 1DX2 for wildlife and I’m amazed at how good the files from the 1DX2 are.

Ive used the 5dsr for three years and the 1DX2 for the past year and a half and the 1DX2 gets used more now. Even when I was out in Grand Tetons and Yellowstone where I was able to fill the frame easily with wildlife I would use the 1D more, but I would switch bodies up and get shots from both just because I had time.

I also print 20x30” metal prints from both and they both look good.

But I will also say if you pixel peep the more megapixels are nice, I have a shot of a bison that you can see so much detail when you zoom in on it’s eye.

I was waiting for the rumored mirror less 5dsr replacement that they say was going to have 75-80mp but I don’t think I will be waiting for that now. When I replace the 5dsr I’m thinking of going with medium format.

KiloHotelphoto's gear list:KiloHotelphoto's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon Extender EF 2x III +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow