Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
SafariBob
SafariBob Senior Member • Posts: 1,979
Re: Best Drone for Photography Mainly

Len-O wrote:

mmarian wrote:

MarcoE wrote:

mmarian wrote:

It might happen one day...But at this point in time we can only dream about that. And since we are allowed to, I wished Mavic had a FF sensor camera🙂

When can we expect the Mavic Pro 3 ? I’m about to step into drone photgraphy besides shooting with my sony a7r3 for landscapes, An improved hasselblad sensor on the next generation would be nice.

My comment was made as a joke. I have no doubt the the MavicPro3 will be better then 2 if there will be a 3 at all...Hasselblad uses Sony sensors in their cameras so it is likely that the 3 will also have Sony sensor inside, whatever type or size. I personally doubt that it will be bigger then 1" type due to lens size and weight necessary for larger sensors..As said many times before there are laws of physics and those restrict what's possible. If you shoot FF landscapes and want to get similar IQ with drone you need large drone like Inspire2 with x5s or x7. But that is not cheap or practical when traveling light. Exposure bracketing and blending in post can improve the DR when clever processing is applied and nice lanscape photos can be made under good light even with 1" sensor camera.

I normally shoot with a Fujifilm X-T3, and have recently added an MA2 to my shooting options. That gives me a ½" sensor with JPEG+RAW @ 48MP capability. Add to that the ability to shoot 4K 60fps video and ultra Slo-Mo at 120 & 240 fps.

The ½" sensor in the Mavic Air 2 does a reasonable job, even in questionable light.

MA2 48MB processed from RAW (DNG)

...and a 180º pano shot at the same time.

MA2 180º pano

So dollar for dollar, at $799, or $988 for the "Fly More" package, I would say that today your best value in a camera drone is the Mavic Air 2.

...and then consider that the Mavic 2 Pro is twice the price.

possibly, but it feels like if you are us based, or anywhere where the regulators have gone bananas, you are better off getting the mavic mini or go all the way to the mavic 2 pro if you can deal with the red tape. It’s become an either/or situation I think. Or consider other brands. I would also recommend getting the smart controller if at all possible

SafariBob's gear list:SafariBob's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow