Larger sensors are better for low light is a myth.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
saltydogstudios
saltydogstudios Senior Member • Posts: 2,145
Larger sensors are better for low light is a myth.

I'm seeing this myth being promoted by dpreview yet again.

Sure if you're going from a bridge camera to a full frame camera the low light performance will be better - but that's just because the bridge camera has a slow aperture (relative to sensor size) to begin with to keep it small.

What he's really saying is "If you're disappointed with the low light performance of your f/2.8 lens on a 1" sensor, try shooting an f/2.8 lens on a full frame sensor" - nevermind that the photo you get will be completely different because of the shallower depth of field.

If you keep angle of view and depth of field equal, larger sensors are better at *bright* photography and smaller sensors are better at *low light* photography.

The idea that larger sensor cameras are better in darker settings is ONLY true if you shoot both at the same aperture - which you won't.

Even this photo at f/4.5 - a moderate aperture - would be about f/2.2 on a m43 sensor. A 2 stop light gathering advantage. This ISO 800 photo would have been shot at ISO 200 on m43.

I don't know about you, but all things being equal, I'll take my full frame with f/2.8 during the day and micro four thirds with f/1.4 during the night.

I did the very basic math here to prove it - you need nothing more than understading of exposure triangle and aperture calculations to follow along.

https://medium.com/ice-cream-geometry/why-micro-four-thirds-cameras-are-better-than-full-frame-at-low-light-photography-5ae3851b9986

If someone more knowledgable than me can find a flaw in my logic, I'm happy to make amendments.

-- hide signature --
 saltydogstudios's gear list:saltydogstudios's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp3 Quattro Nikon D7000 +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
jnd
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow