Who has had a HDD fail?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Alex Ethridge
Alex Ethridge Veteran Member • Posts: 4,994
Several

Several over the 26 years I've owned a computer, partly because I have since my second year, always run multiple disks in each computer for each member of the family and one in my shop. I currently have three hard disks in my office computer, one of which is an SSD, and three in my shop computer, also one of which is an SSD.

I have always maintained a near bullet-proof automated backup system that updates the OS partition monthly, keeps four previous copies and updates user data daily. When I was doing a lot of IT work, user data backup was updated hourly and synchronized to all computers on the network.

Once a year, all user data is backed up to two mechanical (magnetic) hard disks, one of which is kept on-site and the other at my son's office about twenty miles away.

I will never trust my data to strangers who store data on an on-line system no one even knows where on the planet it is and whose security is unknown and unverifiable.

Alex Ethridge's gear list:Alex Ethridge's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic GH5 Sony a7 III Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
EXX
EXX
(unknown member)
EXX
EXX
EXX
EXX
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow