So...What's wrong with the R5?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 1,303
Re: Rolling Shutter

jonpais wrote:

RDM5546 wrote:

jonpais wrote:

Once YouTubers and a couple of websites get hold of the R5, the next thing i guarantee they'll be going hysterical over is rolling shutter, mark my word.

Rolling shutter artifacts shooting electronic fast action stills without the mechanical curtain is a concern of mine.

I am always reluctant to shoot silent in action shots from the fear of rolling shutter effects ruining the shots. The Sony A9 seems to do decent job suppressing rolling artifacts. I thought this was the fast electron readout of the A9 using BSI and stacked CMOS sensors like Sony said. (I bought this hook line and sinker but did not buy their camera because I too much invested in great "L" glass that I know and love). Sony guys said you could not do this incredible pixel readout speed with FSI image sensor chips.

Yet you claim rolling shutter greatness in the R5. I preordered an R5. If what you say true this would be icing on the R5 cake for me which is alread winner for low light operation, AF II and high res EVF. Jonpais? How can the FSI in R5 suppress rolling shutter junk like the A9 does?

On the contrary, it is expected that rolling shutter won’t win any awards.

Message received.  It is as I thought.  And I will continue to run silent only where necessary for the situation.   Thanks for rapid, simple and frank response.  You saved me lots of wasted fiddling time when my preorder R5 arrives.

I think the R5 shutter with 500K lifetime and the 12fps speed is an award winner.   I am not a "shutter lifetime" paranoid like some but I seen how reasonable it is to replace a shutter for a nominal fee from Canon service after 300K shots in one of my DSLRs.    I got a lot of rugged usage  before that with that camera.   The R5 has a faster shutter so 500K is easier reach.   Still this is a lot of shooting and the  12 fps is blazing fast.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R +29 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
YWG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow