*** This Week Through Your Eyes 2020.07.11 ***

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
G Dickson Senior Member • Posts: 1,107
Re: Animal AF

yyr wrote:

G Dickson wrote:

yyr wrote:

A gorgeous boy. I guess there wasn't enough contrast in the scene for the G( to pick him out.

Could well be. Previously with African Wild Dogs front lit the animal AF worked pretty well. Yep, beautiful young male in his prime. He may well be the father of four cubs that were born a few weeks back. So utterly content with his place in the pecking order for now - such that he just sleeps alone and doesn't bat an eyelid when a bunch of jabbering techno monkeys (i.e. us) roll up in a car. From his face he has faced a few battles. Male lions do not have an easy life at all. But there is nothing more impressive than one in his middle aged prime with a mane and a pride and not very much to fear. Apart from us humans.... And taking down buffalos which is inherently super risky but pays off in terms of feasting for the family.

A ridiculous reaction I know but when I saw him I felt like asking him if he'd like a zoom groom. Maybe it's because I did all three of my cats today (they love the little rubber brush) and he looks like a contented boy who'd roll over for a tummy tickle.

Even in person I wanted to stroke him!  I know a few people (there are some mad people in my world) that have raised lions and leopards.  The appeal (and the risk) is very real.... We did raise a common duiker orphaned in a wild fire.  Even such a small baby antelope could make horizontal 3m leaps and fling our cat off her neck when he got a bit ambitious.  Norman Carr who was a pioneering colonial type here had two male lions - google him as it is fascinating stuff.

G Dickson's gear list:G Dickson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon 6D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
yyr
yyr
NCV
NCV
yyr
NCV
yyr
yyr
yyr
NCV
NCV
yyr
NCV
NCV
yyr
NCV
yyr
yyr
yyr
NCV
yyr
yyr
yyr
yyr
yyr
yyr
yyr
NCV
yyr
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow