Canon’s new 600mm and 800mm lenses

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 20,779
Re: Canon’s new 600mm and 800mm lenses

martinhb wrote:

Here's an introductory article about dual layer diffractive optics from Canon :

https://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/lenses/multi_layer_diffractive_optical_element.do

Thank you.  That explains very clearly how the diffraction elements are used.  If I read it correctly, it would seem that these elements are used in the same way as in the 400mm f/4 DO and the 70-300mm DO ( which I used to own).  I assume that the Nikon 500mm PF uses them in the same way.

When I bought my 70-300mm DO, it was more than double the price of the non-DO version of the lens, although it had somewhat better build quality.  At the time it was implied that the use of DO elements increased the price but reduced the length.  Maybe that was just Canon marketing.

The Nikon 500mm f/5.6 is four times the price of the 800mm f/11.  Can the larger front diameter of the Nikon and better build quality account for all that difference?  Maybe it can.

I can’t imagine that removing the diaphragm mechanism has a huge effect on the price.  Does a fixed aperture enable a simplified lens design to be used?

Maybe the very low prices of these lenses come down to build quality and an expectation that they are going to sell in large quantities compared with, say, a Canon 800mm f/5.6.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow