The marketing mistake that may cost m43.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jhunna Senior Member • Posts: 1,445
The marketing mistake that may cost m43.

Let me get this out of the way by saying that I know I am in a photography forum.  So some of this isn't going to resonate. But M43 biggest appeal to me and a lot of others, has always been its hybrid nature.  The ability shoot both video and photos.

I didn't care about the compromises made with photos when the video options were so wonderful.  Matter of fact focusing on photography with m43 came later for me.  But what was never a question was the smooth 4k I could get with IBIS and OIS lenses. M43 and Panasonic in particular, had a great lead in video, and for a long time the GH4 was the standard for great image stablized video.

But now the world is passing m43 in film capabilities.  Canon and Fuji have realized there are a lot sales in to be had with video specs, which were dominated by m43 until recently, and have made cameras with nice specs and nice video.

Somethings m43 could market better are:

• Champion their size advantage in video.  Especially zoom video.
  • Make sure all camera's had 3.5 mic jacks and headphone and/or usb-c jacks
  • Make 4k video no crop OR specify the reason for the crop is to control heat.
  • Say more about the captureing photos while shooting video feature (including RAW) I still don't know of a camera that does this outside of lumix.
  • Make use of class leading DAC and PreAmps to get the best audio.  G100 is a step in this direction.
  • Mention the video tricks, things such as ETC effectively doubling the zoom without loss in video quality.

The one thing that is important that M43 need to resolve is continuous focusing, they are way behind in that arena, but it isn't a huge issue for me because I manual focus at high apertures.

I keep my m43 cameras because of the video capabilities. A fast prime, and the 12-32 and 35-100f4 take care of just about everything I want in a hybrid system.  Small, image stabilized, sharp, and always with me. The mistake m43 has made is not building on these strengths.

jhunna's gear list:jhunna's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 +7 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow