Between 300mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 and 80-400mm which one would you choose and why?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Hilifer
Hilifer Senior Member • Posts: 1,141
Re: Between 300mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 and 80-400mm which one would you choose and why?

Parry Johnson wrote:

Hilifer wrote:

briantilley wrote:

calson wrote:

For wildlife photography the 80-400mm is my lens of choice. I prefer it to the 200-500mm and any of the 150-600mm lenses as it provides a more usable zoom range regardless of the size of the animal and the distance.

We seem to be getting off-topic somewhat.

The OP has already stated he doesn't want the lens for wildlife:

Although the OP did express this, the question is “Between [three lenses] which one would you choose and why?“

I would choose the 70-200 as it complements my kit of primarily wider-angle manual focus. I use the zoom for shooting my sons’ soccer games and for longer reach when I travel (back in the pre-COVID-19 days...). It’s an excellent lens for my needs, delivering fast focus, sharp images and great IQ. When I need to go a little longer, I have a 1.4 and 2.0 TC-III, though th latter doesn’t get much use.

My thoughts still go towards the 70-200, as again you can still crop to DX to get more reach if necessary, and photos still look great. The 16MP crops on my D800 are still better than those I took at full resolution on a D300 or D2XS. On the OP's Z6, this shouldn't be a problem either. Because it's available now, even if another Z mount lens comes out later, this lens will still be very useful. A 70-200 is also easy to re-sell without much loss if it doesn't pan out like expected for the long-term, as they're always in high demand.

It seems that I’ll soon be in remote shores of the northern Yucatan (Yum Balam and Rio Largartos), with plenty of flamingos, pelicans and several hundred other species of birds. Forgive the hijack, but this thread has been clearly helpful to me in considering which tele to include in my kit... although I’m still unable to make a choice. I own a 70-200 VRII, and the latest 1.4 and 2.0 TC versions. I’m inclined to go with this, but that little voice we all hear from time to time (more often than others...) is whispering the 300 PF, followed by the 200-500. I’m pretty sure the latter won’t make the cut (or, likewise, the 80-400G), if for no other reason than I’d be unlikely to sneak into my kit under a particular pair of eyes, and certainly less so at our destination...

-- hide signature --

Moretti
"Things are more like they are now than they've ever been before."

Hilifer's gear list:Hilifer's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow