Nikon 120-300MM F/2.8 Zoom Lens

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
PerfectPoms
PerfectPoms Senior Member • Posts: 2,208
Re: Nikon 120-300MM F/2.8 Zoom Lens

threw the lens wrote:

Hand holding was never really on the cards, unless you bodybuild over two hours per day.

It's a 3Kg item.

120-300 was strictly for the monopod for me.

Even the 150-600 are easier to handhold at 2Kg than this.

But I wonder what percentage of users will hand hold the 120-300? I think this lens will be killer popular for pro sports shooters - when pro sports start up again, assuming photographers will be on the sidelines. I would guess that most will use a monopod?

I was really hoping to be able to use the 120-300 hand held, but I find a zoom lens harder to support AND operate the zoom often than an equal weight prime. I NEVER use my Nikon 300mm 2.8 AF-S II D on a monopod/tripod. It is 5.7 lbs, 3/4's of a pound lighter than the current 300 2.8 VR II.

I bought the Nikon 500 f4 G last summer to test it and it was easy to hand hold - but I cheat: I sit on the ground supporting the lens on one or two elbows on my knees.

I did shoot my 180-400 hand held for over 3,000 shots a few weeks ago on a day that I only took out my groundpod and gimbal, and it turned out where I was shooting I couldn't use it: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/490370-REG/Jobu_Design_SGP_Scorpion_Ground_Pod.html

And I once took 18,000 photos in one day hand held using the 200-400 f4 on a D3.  THAT was a BIG mistake.  I couldn't LIFT my left arm for a week after that.  It was then that I bought my first tripod and gimbal head.

But I'll be interested in how well balanced the 120-300 is.  Is it terribly front heavy the way the 200-400 is?  I suspect not.

I can't wait until the 120-300 is in a store near me so I can fondle it. Will it be balanced like the other big prime E FL lenses (like the 500 f4 E GL)?

But whenever I ask the owner of a pretty large camera store near me about whether he has anybody else ordering that lens - he reacts like he's never heard of that unicorn ...

-- hide signature --
 PerfectPoms's gear list:PerfectPoms's gear list
Nikon AF-S 180-400mm F4E TC1.4 Nikon D2Hs Nikon D2X Nikon D300 Nikon D4 +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow