R5/R6 EVF performance?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
stevvi Contributing Member • Posts: 653
Re: R5/R6 EVF performance?

pokesfan wrote:

stevvi wrote:

pokesfan wrote:

I have been wading through the deluge of content all day about the new cameras-most are just youtube personalities regurgitating the specs with no real new information.

The #1 question I have about these cameras has not been answered. Namely, do they still suffer from the EVF stutter effect when shooting in continuous mode like the EOS R has? It is the greatest frustration with the R, where basically the image freezes on the previous image during continuous shooting.

Note that the refresh rate of the EVF is not relevant to this problem. Yes, the new cameras have 120fps vs the EOS R which has a rate of 60fps. But if it were showing us 60fps during continuous shooting, we wouldn't be talking about this problem. I would estimate that the EVF on the R falls to 5fps on the R, which matches the burst speed when using servo autofocus.

This video was posted by someone else in another thread here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=85&v=KZxF_ADf4eg&feature=emb_logo

Although obviously electronic shutter, it looks decent to me but would like to see footage of mechanical shutter too. There again, coming from R, anything would look decent to me!

It's weird to me how this video doesn't feature the EVF view during mechanical shutter.

The video there to show the autofocus, not the EVF performance. All will become apparent soon enough.

stevvi's gear list:stevvi's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow