* The Weekly Image Thread 20 07 09 #451 *

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
WhyNot
WhyNot Veteran Member • Posts: 9,342
Re: Thank you Bruce, Harvey & Andrew

bthomas001 wrote:

WhyNot wrote:

I thank you for your kind comments and group my reply since you all admired the finch more than the cardinal.

I thought I might share a couple thoughts about that … I always thought that sharpness or enhanced detail got into the discussion of beauty when Durer finished his drawings … It seems birds and old men benefit from this evaluation .. I remember tales of photographers using Vaseline on a filter to get those soft beauty photos in the 1920's and 30's not sure it was used in later years .. I'm not sure the bird wouldn't like being portrayed in soft focus just as much and not have us count those pin feathers. However, I have somewhat bought into the idea on the internet and I rarely try to be subtle with my PP for digital media displays as I can never be sure that you are looking at the same graduation and colors and brightness that I am and I'm sure that few will spend more than minute with any one picture – there are just too many of them these days (I do suspect that you may spend more time than the average viewer on-line.) I know that Andrew sees more of my technique than I do in what I post! ….! …. Anyway, this finch does show that the P100-300 lens can be reasonably sharp at the long end with careful focus and fast enough shutter to overcome my poor steadiness .. and that the M1 can provide reasonably smooth results at ISO1600, at least IMHO ….

Thanks again and stay well …

I have the 100-300mm and use it on a G85. I think it is well past 'reasonably sharp'. Mine has produced some stunners.

I have learned not to use absolutes on any forum .. it usually leads to places I don't want to go .. but yes I do like the sharpness I get from that lens, like the ZD70-300 I had before it, when I take care ....

When it comes to soft focus and the 'old days'...I use to use Rollei TLR's...and Rollei made a little filter: Rolleisoft. It was fantastic...it magically smoothed skin but left hair and eyes very sharp. It was concentric rings that were thicker than the surrounding glass.

For 35mm, we loved the "Nikon Soft 1" filter. Was the closest we could find to the beloved Rolleisoft.

I am sure you are familiar with the Orton effect:

https://fstoppers.com/education/orton-effect-mistake-many-photographers-make-286069

LouHolland introduced me to the Orton effect several years ago and I played with it for a while and then decided there were easier ways to get close to the effect but then dropped it and I hadn't thought about it again until now.  I really didn't remember how to do it and even reading about it in your article didn't bring it back .. I just remember doing it and the pictures I still have from those experiments .... I tend to avoid layers in PP as much as possible..   However, I did bookmark your reference and with this stay at home we're in I may play with it again ....  I remember that at the time I did think it was useful with flowers ...   I never do portraits of people .. .only candid s ...

Cheers!

Stay well ...

WhyNot

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
AVG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow