70-200 F4 Help

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 4,722
Re: 70-200 F4 Help

Matt_24 wrote:

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Several responded to your previous thread.

Based on the images you posted in one thread I and several others instantly concluded there was no evidence of field curvature.

Can you post some more pictures - they will either show field curvature or show your lens does not have field curvature.

What do you want me to photograph? I don't know how you came to the conclusion that it isn't field curvature. You still haven't given me a reason the center of the hill is affected significantly different than the corners by atmospheric effects. I can add more samples?

Let me ask you a question (you'll probably tell me off for "de-railing" another thread, but anyway...) - in the second of the two railroad images in your original post, how far from the camera was the locomotive, and how much further away was the distant hillside?

Your fence images do seem to indicate a slight degree of field curvature at close distances, but I'm not sure you understand how little effect that - if it were replicated at distance - would actually have on the sort of images you say you'll be shooting. Other factors such as depth of field, atmospheric haze and the natural corner softness of most lenses are (whatever you may think) far more likely causes - and would affect any other similar lenses just about as much.

One more question - why are you so concerned about this? Whatever is causing the far distant corners to be softer, it in no way detracts from the actual image.

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow