In today’s mirrorless environment how do you justify ignoring equivalence?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 14,632
Re: In today’s mirrorless environment how do you justify ignoring equivalence?

roger2013 wrote:

Surely the problem is that equivalence can mean different things.

(1) Depth of field/bokeh MFT f2.8 is equivalent to FF f5.6 - this is what most people Who go on about equivalence focus on.

(2) Shutter speed MFT f2.8 is equivalent to FF f2.8 - I guess this is what people mean by saying ignore equivalence.

(3) Noise, a bit like (1), and I understand the point about light gathering capacity but it also depends heavily on the sensor technology and other hardware, so its not clear that any generalisation is really possible.

If you are a portrait/wedding photographer, (1) matters and you emphasise equivalence. If you are a wildlife photographer who needs a fast shutter speed because the creatures are moving, then (2) is what matters (the extra depth of field at f4 will often be a bonus, not a problem), so you say forget equivalence and just think of the aperture and shutter speed.

Or is there something I have missed. Dynamic range? My guess is that is hardware dependent as well as aperture dependent, like noise.

Great summary!

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +40 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Dan
Dan
NCV
NCV
sbu
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow