NAS and network

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
OP XiaoDeer Regular Member • Posts: 114
Re: NAS and network

kelpdiver wrote:

XiaoDeer wrote:

It works pretty well and I'm getting real throughput of ~500 MBytes/sec on file copies over the (Samba) network share.

how is the storage on the NAS laid out? 500 could be what its capable of, making futher optimizations moot.

A pair of SSDs mirrored is one of the highest values for reads - can get into the 700s and 800s on a blob transfer. The NAS can read from both. Writes are 400-500 unless you R0 them.

My hard drives as R10 (2x2) with Seagate Exos drives that are good for low 200s each. So it can do 400s, though there's an inconsistency there I haven't figured out. A bigger stripe on an R5/6 could increase the read rate, and potentially the write, but I'd rather have quicker recovery, less risk.

Yeah, as best as I can tell it's maxed on the drives. (4 x 6TB 5400rpm in RAID5).

I could add a M.2 SSD as a cache but I'm not willing to spend $250 on the required QNAP controller. The current setup will do for the next few years until I eventually replace the NAS.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow