Weather sealed normal-ish primes?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,844
Re: Weather sealed?

B Shepard wrote:

I don't "need" a weather-sealed prime, but I'd like to have one.

I've got a trip to the beach coming up and I'm hoping to do a lot of shooting at night on the beach doing long exposure of (hopefully) thunderstorms. And of course, just general beach conditions make me long for weather-sealing.

Well you always have the option of using one of the dive bags. Such as:

In my case, I have a rather specialized need that made getting the Sigma 16mm useful due to its weather sealing. I go around to steampunk events with my steampunk camera (mirrorless camera in a box with bellows on it to harken back to older cameras). Now, the current box weighs in at maybe 10 pounds (the older box with the E-5 weighed in at 25 pounds).

Picture of me at the Arisia science fiction convention (E-m5 mark I + Sigma 16mm)

Some of the steampunk events are outdoors. We've had torrential rain several times at some of the events. But even the outdoor events have indoor parts where the lighting is bad, and I need to take the steampunk camera between the two.

It takes me something like 5-10 minutes to disassemble the box to be able to change lenses or batteries and reassemble it, so I don't want to change lenses on the fly. In this case, I find that 15-20mm is about the right focal length, so I don't need to zoom.

I also tend to use an old body and lens in the setup, so that if something happens, I would be sad, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.  In the past, I would carry the E-m1 mark I + 12-40mm in a shoulder bag.  I just got the E-m5 mark III, so I've been thinking of using the E-m1 mark I in the steampunk box, and retiring the E-m5 mark I.

For this particular camera setup, I've gone from micro 4/3rds Olympus 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 to classic 4/3rds Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 + MMF-3 adapter to Sigma 16mm f/1.4.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +22 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow