Canon RF 600mm and 800mm lenses

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 20,712
Canon RF 600mm and 800mm lenses

IMHO these are two of the most extraordinary lenses to have been announced in years. I am posting here because the lenses are presumably aimed at birders.

For anybody who has not yet seen the announcements, both lenses are fixed f/11 aperture, are extending and therefore very short closed down and are very light - the 600mm is 0.93 kg and the 800 mm is 1.23kg. The 600mm costs $699 and the 800mm $999.

I imagine that these are aimed at birders who currently shoot with a long zoom bridge camera or maybe digiscopers. I wonder how big the market is? Would anybody here buy such a lens?

I shoot m4/3 with a 100-400mm zoom which is f/6.3 at the long end, so equivalent to 800mm f/12.6 on FF. When shooting birds I am normally at maximum zoom and wide open, so I personally could live with 800mm f/11 fixed aperture if I was using FF.

I would be interested in the views of other forum members on these lenses. I am an admirer of Canon marketing and feel sure that they will have done their homework on the likely markets, but I am still extremely surprised by the announcements.

This B&H video covers the new lenses and the new bodies as well. It gives you a good idea of how small the lenses are.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow