So...What's wrong with the R5?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
David Hull
David Hull Veteran Member • Posts: 6,707
Re: So...What's wrong with the R5?

flyinglentris wrote:

Parshua wrote:

Snapper2013 wrote:

With your input, you'll will help me and maybe others with purchasing decisions. Thanks in advance.

Looks like per Canon's own spec sheet, there are major overheating issues with cool off times and re-record restrictions in 8K and 4K modes, which would significantly reduce the video usefulness for serious videographers.

I raised this issue in a thread weeks ago and multiple DPR members went into defensive tantrum mode shooting holes in the thread that it couldn't possibly be so and I had no right to even mention it.

Yesterday, I read an article that Canon's method of resolving the heat dissipation issue was to space electronic components that might heat up evenly around the R5's Body design. I was expecting, I suppose, something more exotic than that, something like special heat dissipation materials with perhaps, some exposure to the outside environment and perhaps, certain software algorithms that would achieve buffer loading and memory exchanges in an optimized way. I did read something about larger buffering space and the algorithm solution may be in the R5's solution to heat dissipation.

I understand that for Astronomy cameras, heat dissipation is a big issue and there have been precedents set already on methodologies for camera heat dissipation for the purpose of heat generated noise levels, not necessarily, camera body and circuitry heat dissipation. I might have expected the R5 to capitalize on some of what is known from Astronomy Cameras about heat dissipation, especially since they had released, the EOS Ra.

I suspect that one of the things that heats up is the sensor itself in which case cooling it becomes a problem because of the desire for the mechanical anti-shake. if they add heatsinks, heat pipes and things like that it is just more mass that needs to be wiggled by the IBIS motors -- hence more heat, battery drain etc.

It is for me, one of the big issues regarding Ergonomics and Failure MTBFs that I will be sitting on the sidelines waiting to hear about as the R5 begins to see usage and people begin to comment on their experiences. In the mean time, I have pushed cash into a budget bucket and am ready to go for it, when I feel comfortable.

I calculate about $4900 for the R5 Body, an EF-EOS R Adapter, a 128GB CF Express Card, and a 128GB UHS-II Card at the initial pricing.

I am still unresolved about which RF lenses to go for, as I have a wide variety of EF lenses. The one unique lens offered for RF, is the 100-500mm, but I am willing to duplicate my EF Lenses, if I should hear of people experiencing particularly note worthy improvements in Image Quality using an RF version on an R camera. I say particularly note worthy and hey, those RF lenses are a good spot more expensive than their EF counterparts. I can wait on the RF lenses.

The noise issue may not be a total problem for me, as I am retired and my shooting is not so active as to possibly run into the heat issue, if it exists. Again, I will want to hear people's experiences with the R5 as it sees usage.

David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
YWG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow