Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
David Hull
David Hull Veteran Member • Posts: 6,703
Re: So...What's wrong with the R5?

jonpais wrote:

David Hull wrote:

Parshua wrote:

Snapper2013 wrote:

With your input, you'll will help me and maybe others with purchasing decisions. Thanks in advance.

Looks like per Canon's own spec sheet, there are major overheating issues with cool off times and re-record restrictions in 8K and 4K modes, which would significantly reduce the video usefulness for serious videographers.

Can you post a link to that info?

From Matthew Allard at Newsshooter:

Canon was always going to have to make a compromise with the R5 when it came to heat. By going with a fully weather-sealed body and not including any type of fan haet was always going to be an issue. You can’t have your cake and eat it too. There is a reason digital cinema cameras have large cooling systems.

Look, heat limitations are clearly not great, but as long as you understand the limitations of the camera and use it appropriately you shouldn’t run into too many problems.

I can already hear the cries of `It isn't professional because it has heat limitations.’ The camera is clearly capable of being used in professional environments and anyone who knows what they are doing won’t try and use it in situations or environments it shouldn’t be used in. If you need long record times and you are going to be working in hot environments this isn’t the right camera for those jobs.

Don’t buy an R5 and then complain about these problems. You should clearly know what the limitations of any camera are before purchasing.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/07/09/canon-eos-r5-officially-announced/

My a7 III 8-bit 4:2:0 maxes out at 30 min. I’ll take the Canon.

Thanks for positing this -- it is important to know.

David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
YWG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow