jonpais
jonpais Senior Member • Posts: 2,901
Re: So...What's wrong with the R5?

Parshua wrote:

jonpais wrote:

David Hull wrote:

Parshua wrote:

Snapper2013 wrote:

With your input, you'll will help me and maybe others with purchasing decisions. Thanks in advance.

Looks like per Canon's own spec sheet, there are major overheating issues with cool off times and re-record restrictions in 8K and 4K modes, which would significantly reduce the video usefulness for serious videographers.

Can you post a link to that info?

From Matthew Allard at Newsshooter:

Canon was always going to have to make a compromise with the R5 when it came to heat. By going with a fully weather-sealed body and not including any type of fan haet was always going to be an issue. You can’t have your cake and eat it too. There is a reason digital cinema cameras have large cooling systems.

Look, heat limitations are clearly not great, but as long as you understand the limitations of the camera and use it appropriately you shouldn’t run into too many problems.

I can already hear the cries of `It isn't professional because it has heat limitations.’ The camera is clearly capable of being used in professional environments and anyone who knows what they are doing won’t try and use it in situations or environments it shouldn’t be used in. If you need long record times and you are going to be working in hot environments this isn’t the right camera for those jobs.

Don’t buy an R5 and then complain about these problems. You should clearly know what the limitations of any camera are before purchasing.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/07/09/canon-eos-r5-officially-announced/

My a7 III 8-bit 4:2:0 maxes out at 30 min. I’ll take the Canon.

The problem is not with the overheating, but the time it takes to cool off afterwards. Even at 4K/30p it over heats, and then at best you get 10 mins of recording for every 10 mins of cooling off. In 8K, you get 3 mins of recording after 10 mins of cooling off.

It really depends on your use case I suppose. For me the tremendous increase in video quality (a7 III suffers from banding, chroma noise), no need for an external recorder, a true RAW format (unlike ProRes RAW which is not RAW), DPAF in all modes, as well as nearly one pound lighter (!) than the S1H... make the R5 pretty compelling. No fan or vents means less noise, more compactness, fewer mechanical parts to malfunction, potentially better weather sealing. Most of my shooting would be Clog, 24p, so I don’t foresee any issue with the limit.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
YWG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow